Who doesn’t like a bedroom that is well stacked and organized? Any bedroom inevitably needs space for storage, especially your clothes, and other items of everyday need. One solution to this is in-built racks or cupboards, and for houses that lack the same, there are dressers. These items of furniture give you the versatile option of keeping your personal space organized, and act as objects which add to the aesthetics of the interiors. One of the most popular kind of dressers these days is the rustic styled dresser. These ones have a simple and unsophisticated beauty that elevates the look and feel of any bedroom.
Types of dressers and the storage options they provide
Dresser is a term that broadly depicts an item of furniture used for storage. It also includes other types of storage solutions including chests and armoires. A typical dresser measures up to the waist, and has a width that is usually larger than the height and depth. It includes anywhere between six and nine drawers for storage needs. A dresser has a long top surface and is ideal for displaying artefacts, pictures, or other objects of interest.
Chests are made up of three or more drawers stacked vertically to offer storage space. Chests, as the name suggests, measure up to chest-height and are usually taller than regular dressers. They are ideal for rooms that have limited floor space, as they provide more vertical storage space than horizontal ones.
Armoires are larger than dressers and chests, and measure around 60 inches in height. They are ideal of storage solutions that involve hanging, and also shelves, and drawers for storing various items. Armoires, owing to their size, are ideal for spacious rooms.
How to select a rustic dresser
Rustic dressers ( FoxDenDecor/Rustic-Dresser ) are available ready-made, however if you need one made to your needs and requirements, these can be custom built too. When selecting a dresser for your home, there are few factors that need to be kept in mind.
• The size of the dresser should be such that it is in proportion to the size of the bedroom.
• It should be placed in a location where the cupboard doors can be opened fully and freely without being obstructed, or causing obstruction to surrounding objects.
• The dresser should offer a good storage solution to the items that need to be stored. Ideally, it should include at least 20% extra space for future requirement.
Make your rustic dresser look more interesting
Most rustic dressers are made from wood and come in the typical brown hue. If you wish to make your rustic dressers a one-of-its-kind piece, here are few tips.
• Add some color to your dresser to lend it an interesting and welcoming appeal. For a relaxed style, use white or grey, and for something quirkier, use bright colors such as blue, red, lime etc.
• Lend a contemporary twist to your rustic dresser by adding finishes like distressed, bleached etc. This transforms your piece of furniture ( FoxDenDecor/Blog ) into a striking focal point.
• Break the monotony of wood by combining different materials with it. For e.g., use marble or ceramic on the handles, leather and metal on accents, and so on.
• Get creative by adding features to them. A typical example would be to attach wheels to the bottom or handlebars to the side of the dresser.
• Use reclaimed wood like barn wood to bring in a truly countryside appeal.
• Make the interiors of the dressers look beautiful too. Use paint or paper to add color and brightness to the inner surfaces of the drawers. This simple addition transforms them into an interesting focal point.
A rustic dresser is a great solution for bedrooms that do not have in-built storage spaces. These not only provide a place to store your clothes, and other essentials, but also serve as focal points that add to the beauty of your personal space.